About Your Tie
- First Impression: Ties are one of the very first things people notice about you and your outfit.
- Length: Your tie should reach your beltline. It should not be any shorter or any longer.
- Thickness: Narrow is definitely in this season, but stay away from super skinny. Skinny ties are definitely not professional enough. The slimmer your tie, the more modern you are.
- Tie: there are at least 85 ways to tie a tie. Unless you need to be ultra professional, stay away from the Windsor or the power tie. The more casual four-in-hand is a good choice this season.
- Bar: If you’re going to wear a tie bar this season (it’s recommended), wear it between the third and fourth buttons of your shirt. Never wear a tie bar that is wider than the tie itself. Look down and double check immediately.
- Material: Match your tie with your suit fabrics. Cotton ties with cotton suits in the summer, wool ties with wool suits in the winter.
There are some types of ties that one should always have in their closet. Here’s a list.
- Wool: Especially in the middle of winter with your heavier and warmer suits.
- Solid Black Slik Knit Tie: Incredibly versatile. We really don’t need to say more.
- Pin Dot: A little more versatile and professional than the polka dot.
- Wilder ties: A tie with a wilder design like some flowers is really in this season. Stay away from paisley or plaid in 2013, but get something you wouldn’t usually wear for the more colourful spring season.
- Solid Colours: You could always use a couple of solid coloured ties. Especially this spring, get a couple of bright solid ties to match your softer-coloured, but still solid, suits and shirts. If you like to keep it simple or aren’t too into fashion, all you need is the classic darker tie and white/lighter shirt combo.
- Bow Ties: We like them. You should have one in your wardrobe.
What do you think? Do you like the thin tie? Or are you more old-school and prefer the wider power tie? There’s a lot of information in this article, so if you would like a little clarification, give us a call!
A tie is literally at the centre of your outfit. This means that it will be one of the most important parts of your outfit. There are a lot of things you should know about your tie before you choose one in the morning. We’ll go over some of the most important points here: